(An early photo before fire gutted two buildings and area evacuated. Click on pic to enlarge)
Albert, Sunday, February 3, 2013) Fire crews from nine local fire departments have been
battling a blaze at the fromagerie St. Albert cheese factory in St. Albert. The fire broke out just before 10 a.m.
Clarence-Rockland Fire Department was also
called in to assist by providing support with a tanker truck for water and their mobile air unit trailer for oxygen
tank refills. (Click on pic to enlarge.)
The older of two buildings has already been gutted at the factory and fire crews plan to use
an excavator to collapse that building to curb the spread of the fire to the other part of the factory.
There's no word yet on what sparked the flames or how much damage they caused.
The dairy plant is co-owned by some 50 producers and employs more 60 people who work on its line
of cheddars, curds and other cheeses.
(A Google search using "St. Albert Cheese Factory" will give you updated information,
photos, reader comments and a live
twitter feed from CBC News Ottawa.) Including coverage from:
CBC News Ottawa; CTV News; Ottawa Citizen.
St. Albert Cheese Factory:
Updates and after effects...
(Click on the picture for more...)
- (Ottawa Senators host employees to hockey game, February 9) The Ottawa Senators also have a
connection to the town of St-Albert andits cheese factory beyond its close proximity. Sens’ defenceman André Benoit not only grew up
in St-Albert, he held a job in the factory as a teenager. - More...
- (February 6, 2012) Statement by the Honourable Mauril Bélanger, issued in the House of
Commons. - More...
- (February 8) MPP Grant Crack pledges his support to the reconstruction efforts
at La Fromagerie St-Albert. More...
- (1310 News) Local restaurant owners stock up on St. Albert cheese curds - More...
- (From the CBC) Town can't drink water; cheese curds, will return to supermarket shelves as early
as next week. - More...
- (From the Le Droit) Cheese Factory: a new plant within 8 to 12 months (Click on "More"
then click on the word "Translating")- More...
- (From the the Citizen) Photos: St. Albert Cheese Factory fire - More...
- (From the Vankleek Hill Review) 119 years of history goes up in flames - More...
MPP Grant Crack pledges his support to the reconstruction
efforts at La Fromagerie St-Albert - “Last Sunday our community was unfortunately victim
to a major industrial, cultural and historical loss following the fire which left La Fromagerie St-Albert in ruins.
As the local Member of Parliament, I understand how important La Fromagerie is to the local community and how this will
impact the workers, the partners and the broader community.
My team and I are committed to working with them as they take steps forward and rebuild. The
government of Ontario has also committed to working with the residents of the community and La Fromagerie employees.
Finally, I would like to thank the fire-fighters from several local fire departments as well
as the police and all emergency response personnel which answered to the call of duty.
I am proud of the degree to which surrounding communities lent a helping hand during
this tragic event.”
Back to main story